Monday, April 4, 2016

Updated Proposal Post

For my semester project, I am currently gathering all the information I need such as pictures that I will be using as examples and putting my information together with the use of multiple sources from the internet. My semester project will focus on why is it that women get plastic surgery done and how this relates to the male gaze. My aim is not to criticize the women that do this to their bodies because women have the right to present themselves in the way they choose but, I focus more on how women construct their identities today and the things that have influenced them in society to construct her identity. One of my sources include an article found on motto.time.com where a feminist activist named Micol Hebron discusses the issue with Kim Kardashian and her nude selfies. I will be using her opinions as inspiration for my project. The things she discussed in the article go hand in hand with exactly what I want to further research on and present to the world. I will be presenting my project by creating a new Instagram account for it. I chose Instagram as my source to "sell" my project since in today's society this is considered to be one of the most popular social networks to get information from next to twitter and Facebook. 
I am making this project because I believe that so many young girls today have been influenced by these celebrities and women who get these surgeries done to their body. These negative influences play a large part in the way our society today is constructed and how people only view women as objects. I believe it is important for people to understand the underlying issues of women exposing themselves and further presenting themselves as nothing more but objects. This is why so many women are being stigmatized. They are and always have been put on the back burner compared to men and are not seen as just important as them. These women get surgery done and show them off to the world only to display a message that is seen as sexual. This relates to my professional aspirations of being a social worker because it is important for every individual to be seen worthy of and of great value. I want to put a focus on the gender inequality happening in our society and address it. 

4 comments:

  1. This is an interesting article about women and plastic surgery; it references the male gaze and states women undergo such procedures as an exercise in free choice: http://gas.sagepub.com/content/16/6/814.abstract

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe do research about some of the risks of plastic surgery and include it somehow. It would help emphasize that women are willing to risk a lot to be seen as sexier figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some common complications:
    http://www.healthline.com/health/most-common-plastic-surgery-complications#2

    ReplyDelete