Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Noman Sheikh Semester Project

I am creating a database application aimed at students where they can upload pictures and diagrams and then a couple pieces of information. More specifically, this version of the application will be geared towards this class where users can upload pictures, piece title, artist and year. The application will have a couple types of exams the application will create on itself so that users can test their knowledge on the material. This will be an open sourced application so it will be free and open for anyone that wants to update the application in any way. I am making this project because recently I created an application for the sleep clinic I manage to improve efficiency and this project will further my understanding of the program. I am planning to do it in Micosoft Access since it is a database application and I have experience with it, it will be a viable medium. However the anticipated problem with it is that the application will be Windows-only however Mac (OSX) users will be able to use a third party application to work with Access. My message is to give a students a supplementary tool to help them test heir knowledge in a particular subject. This fits my professional aspirations as I do IT for some people on the side and programming is just a versatile tool you never know when it will become useful. This will fit into my portfolio of my database application for the clinic. My inspiration for this project was the style of the midterm for this class and how I used PowerPoint to study. When I thought how I could improve on studying for the final exam, this is where I ended up. The application and support manual will be available via a google website. At this time I have a mind map made of how to go about the project and what needs to get done. 

7 comments:

  1. This is a great idea and you should take advantage of it since not many people know how to create apps. Maybe begin populating the app yourself with feminist art/documents to give future users an idea of what it is about

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting approach to the semester project, great job! I can't wait to see your final product and wish you luck. Here are some tips for developing a mobile app that users will love.
    http://thenextweb.com/dd/2013/05/25/11-tips-for-developing-a-startup-mobile-app-users-love/#gref

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely an interesting idea. It's something that is efficient and to the point. Can't wait to be able to use it for the final exam. Maybe you can try pitching the idea with a pamphlet on how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great idea, in fact I believe once the project is complete it can grow into a powerful tool for students all over the world. Some key sources you may want to look into would definitely have to be database pages and research on the creation of these tools. I feel like it would be very helpful and has the potential to be a permanent resource in schools all over the globe. You might not want to leave it open to anyone because there are some people who will destroy your work. I suggest whatever work you do, copyright your ideas, save it in private accounts that only you have access too. Here are some helpful rules to follow on how to create your project properly.
    http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/359654/important-database-designing-rules-which-I-fo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! Sounds very user friendly and would definitely come in handy for the final exam review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea! It's a great way to get people to interact and discuss about these topics. I can't wait to see how this turns out, not many people can create an app! I think it could grow to be something amazing

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea! It's a great way to get people to interact and discuss about these topics. I can't wait to see how this turns out, not many people can create an app! I think it could grow to be something amazing

    ReplyDelete