Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Semester Project Kassandra Perez

For my project I want to focus on feminism of today and feminism of the past, as well as the idea of the female figure and how feminism reacts and revolves around it. Growing up as a female, I have noticed a lot of skepticism as well as "cultural norms" that revolve around the female body and the concept of strong women.
Being feminist isn't a sin, nor is being a strong female. Being your own women and being pro women and the struggles we face is something that has been frowned upon since the dawn of time. With this project I want to create a public forum , similar to this blog, that revolves around women , feminism and loving yourself and loving others.
For too long women have been sexualized for their bodies, but criticized for loving it. For too long women have been taught to not only hate themselves but hate other women. I want to change the way we view ourselves, each other and how others (men) view women.
My project will pay homage to female artists both from the start of the feminist movement to women of today. Feminism has changed over the years and thankfully being a "feminist" is something men (some) are now calling themselves. I want to focus on that and the power feminism gives to some women, myself included. My project will be pro women and pro self. I will speak of myself and my struggles with myself and my body. I will speak on women who are strong, intelligent women who have helped me find my inner beauty and ultimately help me find happiness as well as confidence with myself.
Women who love themselves and respect themselves (without being the self queen who places herself above others) love others and lift up others. I/We as women can not expect the world to treat us well and as equals if we do not love and respect ourselves and others.
I want women to see this and feel proud of themselves, their sex, and others.

4 comments:

  1. I think this is a great topic because so many women experience this problem with body image and constant comparison to models/celebrities. This makes me think of how it all even started, maybe because of the male gaze? I realized the other day how when I was in line to pay, and most of the magazines were geared towards women and what to wear, new beauty trends, and gossip about other women celebs. I did not see one single magazine for men. You could use that as an example of how there's so much focus on how a women looks, rather than who she has accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I a great advocate for women and our experiences. I considered myself a feminist, maybe not the way a feminist is viewed by society. However I think that a woman who can be proud of herself in every way is a feminist and I think if you highlight that in your project it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I a great advocate for women and our experiences. I considered myself a feminist, maybe not the way a feminist is viewed by society. However I think that a woman who can be proud of herself in every way is a feminist and I think if you highlight that in your project it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also doing a similar project that focuses on female artists that demonstrate feminist art.
    I suggest you check out this website, it basically highlights everything you want to talk about in your project.
    http://womenshistory.about.com/od/feminism/a/feminist_art.htm

    I also think tumblr would be a great site to share this project!
    I look forward to seeing how feminism has influenced your life.

    ReplyDelete