Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Semester Project: Adrian


For my semester project I have created a zine called Kruger’s Kids that traces Barbara Kruger’s influence on streetwear. We have studied Kruger excessively throughout this course and know that she is a visual artist from Newark. Kruger’s signature Futura Bold Oblique typeface directly influenced Supreme New York, the most popular streetwear label out today. Their red box logo is a nod to Kruger’s work, and has manifested itself throughout the industry of streetwear.



My zine is a visual story that highlights Supreme’s storied lineage, built on the shoulders of Kruger’s typeface. It also highlights a lawsuit that occurred in 2013. Supreme sued female streetwear label Married to the Mob over a t-shirt that read “Supreme Bitch.” Even though the name Supreme can’t be copyrighted, they still pursued legal action because they felt that Mob’s product cheapened the image of their brand.
           

The case played out in the media and even incited Kruger to comment on the situation. “What a ridiculously clusterfuck of uncool jokers. I make my work about this kind of sadly foolish farce. I’m waiting for all of them to sue me for copyright infringement,” she said.




No comments:

Post a Comment