Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Semester Project


For this semester project, I will be creating a video that represents modern day women artists who attack social issues such as sexism and racism in their art. I want the video to revolve around Beyoncé’s definition of feminist, “a person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.” I believe that Beyoncé displays a powerful image of black female power and I will include her as one of the female artists. Beyoncé’s music video, Formation will be one of the art forms mentioned in the video as she tackles black culture, the black lives matter movement, and the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. Other artists will include Mickalene Thomas, Coco Fusco, Lauryn Hill, Faith Ringgold, Lorna Simpson, Rupi Kaur, and Doreen Garner. I will also be selecting video publications and interviews of artists in hopes of creating a personal meaning between artist and audience.  The collection of artists will examine ideas around femininity, race, politics, sexuality, and gender. 

In the process of researching these artists, I will be sharing my project on tumblr. Please follow http://femaleartistry.tumblr.com/ for further updates. 


Interview example with artist, Mickalene Thomas.
In this short video, she discusses the reclamation of space in her art. 


As a student minoring in Women's and Gender Studies, I think this video will give me an opportunity to bring more visibility to women. I read and watched female figures such as Audre Lorde, Bell Hooks, Sylvia Rivera, Gloria Anzaldúa take a stand on sexism and racism. However, the feminist movement is not over and in this video I will like to celebrate female artists that continue to fight the same struggles in today's society. 

3 comments:

  1. I really like what your project is about. It's almost similar to mine. I'm doing a video as well but i'm focusing on a student female artist on campus and making her the focal point of my project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!! Check out this link on 10 video-making apps that help you make the best home movies.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/19/vlogging-benjamin-cook-chooses-top-10-movie-making-apps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making a video is awesome because not many people can edit and do all those technical stuff. I am looking forward to it. Sounds like it is coming along great so far.

    ReplyDelete