Monday, April 18, 2016

Savannah David Final Project

My project is a blog on tumblr.com that I created to go through an exploration of fiber and craft work.  The beginning of my blog discusses my culture as a Portuguese woman.  I discuss the tradition of crocheting in my culture and specifically about my grandmother's work.  The idea behind involving my grandmother's crochet work is that although her works are beautiful and intricate, when I asked her about them she told me that she didn't consider herself an artist.  This was interesting to me because her culture told her that what she was doing was just something that women were expected to do.  I go on to discuss the process of accepting craft work into the art world.  I discuss artists like Judy Chicago and Faith Ringgold who used craft work to make a statement about accepting it as fine art.  Then I go to contemporary artists who are using craft work today and discuss a movement called Craftivism

theartofcraft.tumblr.com

Works Cited
Chadwick, Whitney. Women, Art, and Society. 5th ed. London: Thames & Hudson, 2012. Print.
"Home." Craftivist Collective. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2016
David, Maria. "Portuguese Crochet." Personal interview. 14 Apr. 2016.
"Hair Embroideries - SULA FAY." Hair Embroideries - SULA FAY. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2016.
Jenkins, Casey. "I'm the 'vaginal Knitting' Performance Artist – and I Want to Defend My Work | Casey Jenkins." The Guardian. Guardian News and Media, 16 Dec. 2013. Web. 15 Apr. 2016.
"Local Grandmother Quilts Giant Penises: HollyPolyester." Kickstarter. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2016.
"Andrea Pritschow » Home." Andrea Pritschow RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2016.

"Joana Vasconcelos." Joana Vasconcelos. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment