Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Semester Project Summary

Semester Project
Name: Abhirath Singh

Topic: In India, Goddesses are portrayed as a divine power, and men are taught to treat women as if they were a goddess, that is, with respect. However, this contradicts how women are actually treated, in regards to arranged marriages, careers, and basic human respect. I would like to explore videos made, both realistic and parodies, and create memes that project the contradiction between what is preached and what is practiced.
The videos and memes would highlight the challenges faced by women in a patriarchal society, and include factual events of abuse that have taken place, some even gory.
The topic of unfair treatment of women that I am exploring has been and currently is a major issue in India, and no doubt will continue to be one. I believe this is highly encouraged by the patriarchal system of India, and will only change until the people shift their thinking. I aim to collate videos, both informative, and parodies, create memes to support this theme, and explain this issue in an essay format.
My audience for this project will be the Indian population, who I aim to educate about their contradictory behavior, and the rest of the world, who I am to show what truly is happening in India, with respect to the way women are treated. This does not fit into my professional aspirations, rather my personal aspirations, as I aim to make my home country a safer and equal place for my sister, for my mother, for all women.
My research currently includes a video by Vogue, which highlights physical abuse imposed on women by men, and how parents must change the patriarchal approach to nurturing men.
Video: #StartWithTheBoys - A film by Vinil Mathew starring Madhuri Dixit for #VogueEmpower
Another video that highlights the way rape is addressed in India, is a parody video by AIB called Rape – It's Your Fault.

My third source is an article by the dailymail, which discusses the Indian Women's Rights Commissioner comments in regards to two rape cases, and highlights how women in India also follow, encourage, and enforce patriarchal views amongst the population.
Article Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2548145/Indian-womens-rights-commissioner-suggests-gang-rape-victim-death-sparked-outrage-partly-blame-went-cinema-11pm.html

3 comments:

  1. This is a great topic and is still happening all over the world. I've seen many Bollywood movies and can say that in the older movies arranged marriage was a common theme. Parents encouraged it, therefore it became a norm. However you could talk about how teen marriages are still happening in India because of poverty.
    Here's an article that may help
    http://www.triplepundit.com/podium/reality-early-forced-marriages-india/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think this is a great topic especially since its something you know first hand. I think when it comes to addressing a situation we must first educate ourselves and our communities before we can expect change. there was a female film maker who won an academy award this year for her film on shining the light on womens rights or lack their of. I can't remember if it was in the middle east or india now but still something you might want to consider watching.
    A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness
    Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out this link:
    Where is India’s Feminist Movement Headed?
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/india/2013/03/08/where-is-indias-feminist-movement-headed/?referer=

    ReplyDelete