Monday, April 4, 2016

Semester Project proposal update

For my semester project, I am currently doing research and gathering quotes, art, images, and personal stories of how Muslim women are portrayed in art and in the media. I will present my project on public Instagram and Twitter accounts.  And create a PowerPoint presentation to discuss with the class the meaning behind the project, what it means to me, and how I will use Instagram and Twitter to make a difference.  I chose this topic as my semester project because it is always something I have been interested in.  Why do westerners see Muslim women as oppressed by their men and their religion when women are given more rights than men in Islam?  Why do ‘white feminists’ believe we need to be “saved” by their white men?  How does being Muslim automatically imply you are a feminist? I will discuss through art and media, how these western beliefs oppress Muslim women and damage Islam’s reputation.  My main audience is young millennials, specifically Muslim men and women.  I want Muslim women to understand their honor in their religion and westerners to give Muslim women their own voice instead of sending their men to ‘save’ them by killing their husbands, fathers, and brothers. I will create hashtags and use other social media platforms to advertise the main accounts.  I hope to get a little more specific once I begin posting!

#artandwomen #muslimwomen 


-Sara Kittaneh 

2 comments:

  1. I like your topic, it definitely is something different since Muslim women are not really focused on in a lot of class discussions & in the art world. The idea of putting it on social networks such as Twitter or Instagram will also help expand your idea since those social networks are very popular today and widely used by so many people. Creating different hashtags will really help people notice even more, and definitely add lots of information & new facts that people are not used to hearing about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be interesting to show the perspective of women who make art in the face of adversity; this is an article about a Saudi Arabian artist who is greatly inspired by the oppression she experiences: http://girltalkhq.com/meet-the-saudi-arabian-photographer-weaving-feminism-into-her-work/

    ReplyDelete