Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Laura Milad- Semester Project



  For my final semester project I decided to do something that ties into my professional life. As a side job when I don't have classes I work as a substitute teacher. I though back to our first day of class and how I struggled to list female artists but could name countless male artist. I thought back to being a kid in school and realized that while there are many famous female artists I had only been exposed to male artists. So I decided that I would make my project on educating elementary schools kids on female artists as well. As part of my project I will create at lesson plan that will educate elementary school kids on art history and expose them to both female and male artists. My audience will be the students and while I only plan to carry out this lesson plan for one day, I will make a lesson plan that would be taught in a month and publish it on a website or submit to a lesson bank. Since most of the students I will be working with will be young I want to help them learn as well as make it a fun and interesting for them. Some of the female artists I plan to formulate my lesson plan around are Georgia O'Keeffe, Frida Kahlo etc. For example if we learn about Georgia O'Keeffe for that day I will introduce to them some of her paintings and we will talk about what we see in her art. To help make it a more hands on activity , we might focus on drawing flowers for the day.

5 comments:

  1. This is really cool idea! You can even try to reach out to your former art teachers, if possible and try to talk to them about your lesson plan. I was part of National Art Honors Society at my high school so maybe if your school had one you can speak to the advisor and maybe your lesson plan can really be implemented in schools. Also, you can start out the lesson the same way we did the first day of class. Little kids won't know too many artists but I think the results may be somewhat the same as our first day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this idea. As an art history student I have had art be a big part of my life since I was a little girl, and i wasnt aware of female artists till my preteen/teen years and even still not many (Frida was probably the only one i knew till college). I think for children like myself who have a strong interest in art will appreciate learning about this, especially the young girls in the class since elementary school age is when girls are all "girl power" and "girls rule boys drool" way of thinking. So i think this would be really awesome as well as work well with your future goals of being a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a very beautiful idea. It's very important for art history to start changing in terms of gender equality and the best way to do that is to introduce it to young children. It would be really fun for the kids if you had activities specific to different women artists for them to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great idea, many woman have went unrecognized for their hard work and talent. A countless amount of women have paved the way in so many areas such as art, sports, politics, and business. Not just art but everything with positive knowledge deserves gender equality. Now that you mention it, I think back on why we never learned about women artists growing up. It will be an effective and educational lesson, also you must make sure prior to doing so if your idea is open to teach freely or if it doesn't match some sections of the curriculum. I don't see why not, our youth needs to learn about everyone who has a significant impact in the world not just men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete