Monday, April 18, 2016

Final Semester Project

For my semester art project, I created an Instagram account where I post positive and uplifting posts directed towards all women of different looks, shapes, figures, skin tone, etc. The posts address a variety of topics where I acknowledge all kinds of women who may feel insecure because of their weight and appearance. I discuss how it is okay to be who you are and love yourself and to not let social media tell you what it means to be beautiful. I bring attention to issues in society that may be the cause as to why some women are not okay with their bodies and how they look. Some of the issues I talk about include the male gaze and how women have been objectified and sexualized all their lives. I address the issue of plastic surgery, risks of getting plastic surgery, and why is it that women feel the need for this to be done. Bringing attention to these issues in my Instagram posts can help women realize that they should love what they have, and to see the beauty in themselves no matter their size, height, color etc. Some of the posts show positive, uplifting and empowering photos of women supporting one another, while other posts show some quotes and images reminding women that they are strong, valuable and worth it no matter what. I created this instagram in hopes to uplift other women and remind them of their worth. I have experienced struggles within myself  and seen friends and family talk about how they aren't okay with the way they look which has motivated me to create this Instagram. Living in a society where people only focus on these "perfect" celebrities, its difficult for some women to believe that they are perfect just the way they are. I plan to continue posting positive, happy, and uplifting quotes and images and use different hashtags that will allow other people using Instagram to be able to read and view what I post.

Below is the link to the Instagram account. 
Works Cited

José Rodolfo Loaiza Ontiveros. Mirror Mirror on the Wall Image. La Luz De Jesus 

      Gallery, August, 2014. Web. April 10, 2016. <laluzdejesus.com>. 

MayoClinic Staff. Risks- Cosmetic Surgery. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research,

       1998-2016. Web. April 9, 2016. <mayoclinic.org>. 

Ovreburg, Elisabeth. Why Women Want Plastic Surgery. Oct. 16, 2012. Web. April 7, 2016.

        <sciencenordic.com>. 


No comments:

Post a Comment