Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Semester Project

        My semester project is a collage of advertisements and photographs taken by feminist photographer Ellen von Unwerth. I chose the format of a collage in black and white to avoid any distinction between the two as there are parallels between both. Although upheld as a feminist photographer, a lot of von Unwerth's photographs could be deemed as perpetuating the male gaze. My projects heightens on von Unwerth's notion of "erotic femininity" while I pose the question of whether art is feminist based on content or intention. I created a tumblr to publish my collage and analyze a few photographs. Some photographs are accompanied by quotes from Jean Kilbourne's Killing Us Softly and Naomi Wolf's The Beauty Myth.





Bibliography

1. Kilbourne, Jean. (1999). Killing Us Softly. United States, Cambridge Documentary Films.
2. Sischy, Ingrid. (2011). Ellen von Unwerth: Fraulein. Taschen America, LLC.
3. Von Unwerth, Ellen, & Sischy, Ingrid. (1994). Snaps: Ellen von Unwerth. Twin Palms Publisher.
4. Wolf, Naomi. (2002). The Beauty Myth. Reprint. Harper Collins.

No comments:

Post a Comment