Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Semester Project Proposal

My semester project will be a video of various pieces of street art. In the video I will only display art that was done by female artist who use art to address social issues (ex. Shamsia Hassani, Sharon Lee De La Cruz, Lady Aiko, etc.). I would like to display many pieces, while attaching an audio of recorded interviews I will be conducting.
The reason I want to do this as my project is because I grew up in an urban environment (NYC/JC), and not a day goes by without me seeing some type of street art. This includes graffiti, murals, statues, etc. Street art to me is interesting because artist put it into the world to deliver their message, not to sell their work and make a profit. They are free public messages.

In my video, I plan to interview both males and females. My main question will be, “What do you think are the main challenges women face in art?” As I gather photographs, my previous planned list of questions has changed. I keep removing questions that I originally planned for the interviews because I want to tailor them to match the street art I am finding. I would like my audience to be young adults. The issues that are addressed should help people realize these issues and change is necessary. By targeting young adults, we can start the trend now, so younger generations can follow. My intended message is to display some of these challenges and how to address these challenges women face in art.

3 comments:

  1. I think the idea of exploring street art is a great idea. One artist that I think would work for your project is Tatyana Fazializadeh. She makes murals that addresses street harassment. http://www.tlynnfaz.com/Stop-Telling-Women-to-Smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the idea of exploring street art is a great idea. One artist that I think would work for your project is Tatyana Fazializadeh. She makes murals that addresses street harassment. http://www.tlynnfaz.com/Stop-Telling-Women-to-Smile

    ReplyDelete
  3. heres a pretty cool article about street art pieces.... http://www.streetartnews.net/2016/04/10-popular-street-art-pieces-march-2016.html

    ReplyDelete