Monday, April 4, 2016

Project Proposal

For my semester project I want to do a photo essay.  The photo essay will then be presented thoughtfully curated on a website.  The topic of my photo essay will be about pregnancy and birth control.  My project will be a very personal essay based off of several women that I know.  The first part of the project will include an intimate conversation with each subject.  The subjects will be of different ages.  Through the conversations I want to learn about each woman’s experiences with pregnancy, birth control, abortion and miscarriage.  I think it’s important for women to hear about the experiences of other women in these topics.  

The photo part of my project will include photos that complement the quotes.  They will relate to the topics and also add an aesthetic quality to the website.  My inspiration for this project comes from a book called Growing Up Female: A Personal Photo-Journal by Abigail Heyman.  In this book she uses photos and text to discuss self discovery and identity in women's lives.  This is similar to why I want to make my project.  In my project I want to explore the topics of pregnancy, birth control, abortion and miscarriage because these are topics that aren't easily discussed.  Many women who go through these things don't feel comfortable openly talking about them.  Often they go to the internet with questions about these topics.  Through my project I want to add insight for women on these subjects that they can relate to. 



http://jwa.org/blog/abigail-heyman-feminist-photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment