Sunday, May 1, 2016

Can You Name 5 Female Artists?

This question was an unexpected challenge most students in our Arts & Women class could not answer on the first day.  In fact, the question prompted a discussion which led to the realization that most people have experienced difficulty in naming 5 female artists.  By contrast, naming male artists seem to be answered without any struggle. 
 
Our class trip to the Brooklyn Museum to visit Judy Chicago's, exhibition, The Dinner Party, was a great opportunity to learn more about women's art and their accomplishments.  The ceramic plates were meticulously created and placed on the grand table with great showmanship and commanding presence.    Each plate represents the artist and celebrates their accomplishments.  The emphasis was not only the art, but, the women's success and the attainment of their status as great artist and great woman in history.  Ironically, if female artist weren't a separate category from the male artist, Judy Chicago's recognition by way of her exhibition of  The Dinner Party, may not have been an exhibition of women artist, at all. 
Actually, it could have been an acknowledgement of all great artist's contribution to art history, as a whole, not a segregated category that evolved from necessity as oppose to magnificent talent.      


Georgia O'Keeffe's  creations inspired by  magnification of the obvious.




The uniqueness in Georgia O'Keeffe's art commands attention to detail by magnifying flower parts to create female sexual abstractions, yet beautiful floral portrayals.  Georgia's art speaks volumes with little effort, so to speak. There is  no misunderstanding, her artwork is not trivial,  on the contrary, it is ingenious.
 "I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for".
"Nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small it takes time - we haven't time - and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time".
"I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do".
"I often painted fragments of things because it seemed to make my statement as well as or better than the whole ".                                  
   -Georgia O'Keeffe
 
American artist, Georgia O’Keeffe was born on November 15, 1887 in Wisconsin, United States and died on March 6,  1986, at the age of 98. Georgia O’Keeffe knew she wanted to be an artist at a very young age.  She took lessons with Sara Mann, a watercolour painter.  In 1924, she married Alfred Stieglitz, a New York modern art promoter.  Her husband organized annual exhibitions of her work and she started to gain a reputation as one of America’s most important artists.   
       


 
"I paint myself because I am often alone and I am the subject I know best"  -Frida Kahlo


Faith Ringgold



Faith Ringgold Groovin'
Kara Walker, Insurrection

Kara Walker, Bleed
 
Doris Salcedo
"Gegorgia O'Keeffe and Her Paintings." Georgia O'Keeffe Paintings, Biography, and Quotes. N.p., 2011. Web. 20 Apr. 2016.   https://www.okeeffemuseum.org/about-georgia-okeeffe/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment